MikesBikes Introduction is our Introduction to Business Simulation.
In MikesBikes Intro, you are given your own bicycle manufacturing company to manage. Each simulation year you will be introduced to new decision areas for your company:
- Year 1: Sales and Marketing
- Year 2: Distribution and Branding
- Year 3: Operations and Finance (debt)
- Year 4: Product Development and Finance (equity)
The primary goal of your company is to enrich its shareholders (owners) by providing a return on their investment in your company. This is measured by the amount of Shareholder Value (SHV) you can create in comparison to your competitors
How to get started
When the simulation begins, you will be sent your login details by either your instructor or by Smartsims.
- Log into the Smartsims website with the login details you have been given.
- You may need to register for your simulation.
- Access our available resources under the Manuals and Videos tab from the left-hand menu.
- Launch your company by clicking on your simulation name on the left-hand menu, then clicking on the blue launch button.
For more information, please view our step-by-step guide on how to log in, register, access the simulation and view all of the resources available to you.
Rollover is the term used to describe moving from one year (decision period) to the next. A Rollover will process your currently entered decisions in the simulation for the year ahead.
Single-Player & Multi-Player
MikesBikes Introduction has two phases of the simulation. It is important that you know the difference between these phases, and that you are entering your decisions in the correct World.
Single-Player Phase: In the Single-Player you will compete against a single computer-controlled competitor. In the Single-Player you are able to roll forward into the next decision period/year or roll back as you wish in order to test and change your decisions.
Multi-Player Phase: In the Multi-Player you will compete either individually or in teams against other student-run companies in your class. Moving from one year (decision period) to the next is done by automatic rollover on pre-set dates scheduled by your instructor.
The MikesBikes Introduction simulation is designed to help you build confidence in each decision area which is designed to expand your knowledge and experience in Sales and Marketing, Distribution, Operations, Product Development, and Finance.
The following resources are available under the Manuals and Videos tab:
- Player’s Manuals: Which explains in detail each functional area of the simulation.
- Quick Start Guides: Give a brief overview of the simulation and each functional area.
- Video Tutorials: Our tutorials take you through an example process of analyzing reports and making company decisions.
Year 1 recommended resources
- Chapter 1 – Introduction and Overview (pages 1-6)
- Chapter 2 – Market Analysis (pages 7-14)
- Chapter 3 – Implementation (pages 15-16)
- Video 1: Simulation Overview
- Video 2: Making Your First Year Decisions
- How to Forecast Sales in MikesBikes Intro
Year 2 recommended resources
- Chapter 2 – Market Analysis (pages 10-11 and page 13)
- Chapter 3 – Implementation (page 18)
Year 3 recommended resources
- Chapter 3 – Implementation (pages 18-21)
Year 4 recommended resources
- Chapter 3 – Implementation (pages 16-17 and pages 20-22)